Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Am I really that out of shape after a few weeks?

After taking a few weeks off and enjoying classes at the local Y, changing it up from just swimming, biking and running, I felt mid-November was a good time to get back at things.  I took enough time off of running that I was able to run pain free!  I spent the month of November making my own training plan to work back into shape.  Starting the week of November 24, a few things felt off.  My HR at the end of hard bike efforts was about 192bpm, usually my HR doesn’t go much above 180bpm.  On Thanksgiving morning I did a Turkey Burner cycling class at the HPT studio, in my comments I wrote “Hit all power numbers.  I’m clearly not in shape, my HR was super high!”  Over the next few days I kept noticing my heart rate would spike on what seemed like easy to moderate efforts.  And I was SUPER thirsty.  I could finish double the amount of water during a workout than I usually would.  And all of a sudden swimming got slow and harder to keep up with the Master’s group I usually swim with.  I knew something was up, but thought maybe this was my body punishing me for taking time off.  With December and the holidays getting near, I decided I needed motivation...I was clearly lacking motivation, that’s why I was getting slow!  So, I resorted to social media to motivated me and I posted my “25 days of Fitness” for the month of December.  I was also feeling super tired all the time, was I depressed?  Was my lack of motivation and my slowness making me depressed?  I started Googling and reading...I started putting it all together...I was pregnant!


My husband and I had discussed wanting to start a family, especially seeing so many of our teammates at HPT balance family and tri-life, we felt it was time to start trying for a family of our own.  After putting my body through the strenuous Ironman training, we figured it would take time to conceive...guess not!  Surprised, but overjoyed!  2015 was going to be the year of maintaining fitness, while preparing for our first child.

No comments:

Post a Comment