Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Getting Back in Shape


It's been a while, but a lot had gone on in the last few months since I had Hannah, so I'm going to split up what I've learned about being a new mom going back to work and maintaining a 12 hour triathlon training week.  This post is about being a stay at home mom, with a newborn and trying to get back in shape.

Getting Back in Shape
I am lucky that I was able to stay home with Hannah for her first 4 months.  In the first 2 weeks it was all about Hannah and adjusting to our new life and making sure I was available for all of Hannah's meals. I want to be able to fully breastfeed, without formula supplementation, for as long as possible...a full year!
I was tired, but didn't miss working out. I did miss getting outside and having some alone time. I felt that I couldn't be away from Hannah incase she was hungry.

Return to training, Phase 1
At 2 weeks postpartum I started going for walks. Sometimes alone, sometimes with Hannah. It felt good, but I still had some soreness from delivery.
My doctor saw me for a 4 week postpartum visit.  Postpartum visits are usually at 6 weeks, but my doctor knew I wanted to get back to running ASAP and would recovery quickly due to my activity and strength going into delivery.

Return to training, Phase 2
I still had some bleeding at 4 weeks, but I started doing leg and abdominal strength exercises on top of walking for 2 weeks before attempting to run.
I did my first run 6 weeks after delivery. It was so tiring, I lost total fitness and felt like I never ran before!  On that first run, I ran/walked for 20 minutes.  I added one minute every time I ran. Oh, and hills were horrible!!!
Through pregnancy I had spent all my time focusing on heart rate, now that I was free to let my heart rate jump, it hurt!  I was clearly out of shape, but I didn't let that bother me. My body had been through an amazing feat, and it would take time to work it back.

Building endurance, Phase 3
It took me 2 months to build up my long run to 10 miles, and I still got very out of breath on long up hills.  My focus was making running feel good and for it to be fun.  It was my only alone time, it felt great.
One day I was out for a walk with Hannah (11 weeks old) in The Bob stroller, and I decided to test out jogging...it was great!  I loved it, and she loved it. I made sure to be conservative with my pace, but over the next few weeks I would push faster and she loved it!  Of course, I wouldn't have started so early, but she had very good neck strength from the beginning. (That was what I felt was most important).  It also helps that I can run on a beautiful paved path that is virtually bump free.  Hannah naps most of the time, but now also likes to look around too!
From delivery to 8 weeks postpartum.

Hannah all bundled up for a nice autumn run.

No comments:

Post a Comment